Wednesday 30 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Eighteen

Day 18: A Song You Wish You Heard On The Radio

What a strange question. As per the last post I'm not a big radio person at the moment - it's good for driving and waking up but that's about it. I used to find Radio One a reasonable source of "new music" but unless you like autotuned rubbish then it doesn't even do that any more. If I was serious about wanting to hear obscure things on the radio then I'd probably have bought a digital radio and become a Six Music groupie by now - but I'm not that organised! However, it's pretty hard not to listen to the music you like as long as you have a computer and an internet connection!

However it is easy to forget about music you love - particularly when the song in question was released in 2002. In 2002 I was very busy being 17 - essentially fretting about my appearance, lack of boyfriend and whether I'd ever get into university/move away from home/do anything with my life. As I was blonde, very thin and reasonably bright that level of angst was utterly uncalled for but I suppose I wasn't to know that! I also was perpetually broke - all the money I managed to earn was spent on partying or driving lessons - so I could never afford to buy any music, even when I really loved a song. That was the case with this particular song - I heard it on the radio about three times in 2002, adored it and then didn't hear it again until about two months ago when the lovely Mr Cowley reminded me of its brilliance. I promptly acquired the album for about three quid and listened to it on repeat for several weeks... So yes, if I ran a radio station one of the songs I'd play a lot would be Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips - probably followed by Nice Weather for Ducks by Lemon Jelly if you're at all interested!


"Her name is Yoshimi
she's a black belt in karate
working for the city
she has to discipline her body

'Cause she knows that

it's demanding
to defeat those evil machines
I know she can beat them

Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me

but you won't let those robots eat me
Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots defeat me"



No comments:

Post a Comment