Tuesday 12 April 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Twenty Five

Day 25: A Song That Makes You Laugh

British music is full of quirky silliness that makes me chuckle - Village Green Preservation Society by the Kinks, anything by Lemon Jelly, the Darkness or Goldie Lookin Chain and so on. As is British culture - from the Goonies to Black Books our comedy is by turns daft, dark, deeply human and utterly hilarious. The apotheosis of all this silliness is, at least as far as I'm concerned, Monty Python. The credit for my love of Monty Python has to go equally to my dad - I remember watching Python sketches with him when I was younger - and friends in my first year at University. I must have watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail about a million times during that year - I can still quote great big chunks of it from memory and it's undoubtedly one of my all-time favourite films. In fact, I slightly judge people who don't like it...

The Pythons were also brilliant at bonkers songs and of all their music there is one song that will always make me laugh out loud - however much of a terrible mood I'm in. My friend Jodie used to play it to me whenever I was having a crisis and although I've become much less melodramatic over the years it still works. So a little bit of laughter for a Tuesday morning - the Galaxy Song!


"The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."


No comments:

Post a Comment