Friday 8 April 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Twenty Four

Day 24: A Song You Want To Play At Your Funeral

A somewhat depressing question this one and one that it's quite hard for me to think about. It's only about a month since my Nana's funeral and the feeling of complete unreality as we walked into the church behind her coffin is as tangible to me now as it was then. There must have been music playing and I know we sang hymns but I honestly couldn't tell you what any of it was. I don't remember what music played at my Uncle's funeral either for that matter or at any other funeral I've been to. So in the face of death does music become insignificant to me or do I just choose not to remember it? Poetry seems much more appropriate for funerals to me - so many of the poems I'm most familiar with - Brooke, Sassoon, Owen, Rossetti - are infused with war, loss and grief.

Music is however an important part of my life and I want that reflected at my funeral - even if no-one really listens to it. I don't want anything too upbeat playing - I seriously doubt I'll be happy about dying and I'd like to think that people will be at least a little bit sad that I'm gone! However I'm not having anything dirgelike either - no Smiths or I will haunt the person who chooses the music for the rest of eternity... So instead let's have a bit of classic rock, namely the Rolling Stones. The Stones are undeniably an epic band, love them or loathe them, their music is incredible. After I'd worn out my ears listening to the Beatles at 16 I then moved on to the Rolling Stones fully prepared to dislike them - I'd got it into my head that you couldn't be a fan of both bands I think... That clearly isn't the case - in fact I don't think there's a Rolling Stone song which I don't like! Ruby Tuesday is however one of my favourites and I think it'd be entirely appropriate for saying goodbye. Of course I'm not going anywhere just yet so don't get too melancholy listening to this...




"She would never say where she came from
Yesterday don't matter if it's gone
While the sun is bright
Or in the darkest night
No one knows
She comes and goes

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you...

Don't question why she needs to be so free
She'll tell you it's the only way to be
She just can't be chained
To a life where nothing's gained
And nothing's lost
At such a cost

There's no time to lose, I heard her say
Catch your dreams before they slip away
Dying all the time
Lose your dreams
And you will lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment