Friday 18 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Eleven

Day Eleven: A Song From Your Favourite Band

These questions are getting difficult again - my favourite band?! I don't have a favourite band!  According to last.fm - which scrobbles with my iTunes and therefore counts everything I've listed to since the dawn of the MP3 format - my most listened to artist is Robbie Williams. Which is odd because I don't ever recall listening to him that much. So clearly I'm going to have to put a bit more thought into this! Over the years my favourite bands have been many and varied - for a start I used to be obsessed with Boyzone and had a mahoosive poster of Ronan Keating on my wall for more years than I care to remember... Then it was Linkin Park who used to be brilliant but don't get included on the grounds that their latest album is criminally awful.  After that my favourite band has changed even more frequently than my hair colour! 

I'm inclined to pick a band that I've seen live - some of the gigs I've been to in the past year have been truly amazing. I fulfilled a lifetime ambition by seeing Muse at Old Trafford Cricket Ground last September having wanted to see them for over ten years and seeing Matt Bellamy sing Plug In Baby live was absolutely one of the highlights of my life. Having said that seeing (some of) Thin Lizzy in January this year was also one of the best gigs I've ever been to and I listen to a lot more Thin Lizzy on a day to day basis than I do Muse... But the band I've gone for is actually a completely different band, one I've never seen live (although I am reliably informed they're awesome) - Paramore. Reasons I love this band are multiple: I'd love to have hair the same colour as Hayley Williams,  I own all their albums and I could probably choose a song from their backcatalogue for just about any moment in my life. I wouldn't say they're the most unique or exciting band around but something about their music speaks to my heart whether I'm sad, angry or happy. 

The song I've eventually gone for is The Only Exception which is from Brand New Eyes and, despite the characteristic angst, manages to be a really beautiful love song. Perfect for a sunny Friday afternoon. 


"I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable, distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that I'm
Content with loneliness

Because none of it was ever worth the risk
Well, You, are, the only exception"




No comments:

Post a Comment