Wednesday 30 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Nineteen

Day 19: A Song From Your Favourite Album

This is a more sensible question! And a much easier one to answer... I've got quite a short attention span with music sometimes - I tend to download random tracks, listen to songs on a whim, put my entire music collection on shuffle etc etc. In short I am seldom to be found listening to albums from beginning to end and appreciating the musical concept (or whatever) behind them... I'm also a great one for buying greatest hits albums as an easy way of getting the flavour of a band without donating my body to science in order to afford their entire backcatalogue. Essentially, I'm a fickle, lazy cheapskate most of the time when it comes to music. 

This isn't true all the time however - particularly when I really like a band I'll buy a proper album and listen to it from start to finish like I'm a serious music lover. There are always a few albums that live in my car for this very reason - currently I have Black Holes and Revelations by Muse, Riot by Paramore, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips and Dirt by Kids in Glass Houses. But the one album I always keep in there is All Hope Is Gone by Slipknot. I've always quite liked Slipknot - I think the first time I heard them was when I was about 14 and one of the boys I did a paper round with played me their first album on his walkman. I honestly expected to hate it, everything I'd heard about the band suggested they were really dark and scary but I was surprised to find I actually really liked the music. They're undoubtedly heavy metal but I like the fact that they're melodic as well - metal bands that literally just scream really annoy me. All Hope Is Gone is the first Slipknot album I ever got around to buying and I loved pretty much every track on it from the first play which is rare. My favourite track is probably Dead Memories - although Snuff comes a close second - I love the combination of slightly wistful moments with really angry guitars. If you don't have this album you should go and buy it, it's brilliant.

"Sitting in the dark, I can't forget.
Even now, I realize the time I'll never get
Another story of the bitter pills of fate
I can't go back again
I can't go back again
But you asked me to love you, and I did.
Traded my emotions for a contract to commit
And when I got away, I only got so far
The other me is dead
I hear his voice inside my head
And we were never alive
And we won't be born again
But I'll never survive

With dead memories in my heart
Dead memories in my heart
Dead memories in my heart"

No comments:

Post a Comment