Friday 25 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Sixteen

Day 16: A Song That You Used To Love But Now Hate

Goodness, I thought after yesterday's question things might get easier. Apparently not so much! I get bored of songs quite easily but I very rarely start hating them. I've resorted to a bit of statistical cheating on this one to be completely honest and have just chosen a song that I used to play so much that it's still near the top of my iTunes most played list despite the fact that I haven't listened to it for about two years. I don't hate this song especially but I struggle to enjoy it anymore. This is partially because I played it to death and partially because I associate it with several periods of particular emotional trauma - nothing like loading your music collection up with repressed angst! However I have grown to rather hate the artist who sings it - when I first heard of him he was a supporting act at a gig in York in about 2003 and he was really good, better than the band we'd actually gone to see. He then became famous, his songs got completely overplayed and whenever I see him being interviewed he's a complete prat. Also, the lyrics are a bit rubbish when you really listen to them...

So here you go - in my best 80's DJ stylee - here's a little bit of James Blunt with Goodbye My Lover. Try not to let it enrage you...



"Did I disappoint you or let you down?
Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?
'Cause I saw the end before we'd begun,
Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won.
So I took what's mine by eternal right.
Took your soul out into the night.
It may be over but it won't stop there,
I am here for you if you'd only care.
You touched my heart you touched my soul.
You changed my life and all my goals.
And love is blind and that I knew when,
My heart was blinded by you.
I've kissed your lips and held your hand.
Shared your dreams and shared your bed.
I know you well, I know your smell.
I've been addicted to you.

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me"

No comments:

Post a Comment