Friday 18 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Twelve

Day Twelve: A Song From A Band You Hate

Aha! This is probably the easiest question on the list and it provides me with an opportunity for a rant. Brilliant! Unlike most people I know I have spent a lot of my life disliking The Smiths - they are one of those bands that a lot of people talk about like they' re the second coming and, whilst I quite like their music, I've never quite got it.  Maybe it's because misery isn't my default setting, maybe it's because I quite like Margaret Thatcher, maybe it's because I'm contrary - who knows?! Personally, I think Morrisey is an arrogant, pretentious moron - for a start who waves a bloody bunch of flowers about on stage, really?! Johnny Marr's not much better - trying to dictate who can and can't like his music like someone died and made him king of the flaming world. Just because NME thinks you're God doesn't mean you actually are. 

Having said all about a million times and at varying levels of loudness - just don't ask me about Morrisey when I'm drunk, for the sake of your eardrums - I increasingly find myself liking their music. I primarily blame the film 500 Days of Summer which has left me with a desire to steal Zooey Deschanel's hair and a sneaky fondness for listening to The Smiths. So here you go - have a little bit of How Soon Is Now from the band I love to hate...



"I am the son
and the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does "






No comments:

Post a Comment