Friday 11 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Nine

Day Nine: A Song That You Can Dance To

A song that I can dance to? Well, I will dance to almost anything - whether anyone would say that I can dance is questionable. My problem with dancing is much like my problem with music in general - I'm terribly enthusiastic but utterly lacking in skill! I've taken dancing classes a few times - both Welsh folk dancing and ballroom don't you know - but never really got very far. I can normally feign a reasonable waltz providing my partner doesn't mind getting trodden on. I can also generally pull off a carefully structured dance routine - I was a dab hand at the dance to Saturday Night by Whigfield back in the day and I can still just about do the Macarena although I get a touch flustered when I'm at the front. 

Luckily for me the clubs and gigs I normally frequent rarely call for a foxtrot or a rendition of Tragedy so I usually get away with it - there's nothing much that a bit of hip-wiggling, foot shuffling and, if all else fails, some jumping about won't fix. Also, huge doses of over-enthusiasm tend to carry me through - I love to dance and ultimately I don't care that I'm not very good! There are a few songs however that will always get me on the dancefloor - Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations is a long standing favourite as is Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns'n'Roses (to which I do a mean air guitar routine). 

There is, however, one song that I will always, always, always dance to - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers. This song reminds me almost exclusively of brilliant nights out - including 2am ceilidhs in Durham, girly nights out in Wrexham, wonderful weddings and last year's utterly bonkers work Christmas party in Reflex. So, if you are ever out with me and this song comes on - well, you know what to expect!


"When I come home(When I come home), well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you
And if I grow-old,(When I grow-old) well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles
To fall down at your door

da da da (da da da)
da da da (da da da)"

No comments:

Post a Comment