Friday 25 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Fifteen

Day 15: A Song That Describes You

Seriously? Seriously?! A song that describes me. Well I have absolutely no idea about that oneI tend to get ridiculously self-deprecating when describing myself therefore I'm seriously tempted to just pick Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen and have done with it! However I've taken the rest of this challenge reasonably seriously so I'm going to at least make the effort to pick something sensible...

Where to start? Well, my middle name is taken from The Beatles song Michelle but as that's a) not my name, b) a love song and c) half in French I'm not sure it says much about me personally... Someone once told me that I made them think of the Nine Inch Nails song Closer as well but I'm really not going to dwell on that. In desperation I did a little twitter poll which amused my family for an entire evening without getting us very far - however their suggestions are listed below for amusement value:
  • Loser - Beck (thanks to my big brother for this one)
  • She's So Lovely - Stevie Wonder (a much nicer suggestion from my dad)
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cindi Lauper
  • Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns'n'Roses 
  • Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves - Aretha Franklin
The song I've chosen is however a totally different song - it's called  I Hope You Dance by a country singer called LeeAnn Womack. It's somewhat of a family anthem - my mum played it to me when I was about 15 and said that it was the advice she'd give me for living life. I think I probably scoffed in typical teenage style but then I listened to the words.  It doesn't so much describe me as describe the attitude I try to have, particularly when faced with things that put me outside my comfort zone - I'm sure I don't always succeed but I do try. Taking a chance on  anything can be really difficult but if I hadn't taken so many leaps of faith, particularly over the past four years, my life would be immeasurably poorer. So go crazy, do something that makes you a little bit scared and don't forget to dance - you'll feel better for it, I always do!





"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance"

No comments:

Post a Comment