Tuesday 15 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Ten

Day Ten: A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep

Yeah I just don't blog at weekends do I. And I haven't got very much time today so this'll have to be a quick one. Today's question is a bit odd - I'm sure they mean a song that you like to fall asleep too but the wording is strange. No song makes me fall asleep and if it did I'm not sure it'd be worth writing about. I also don't really listen to music when I'm in bed, I'm a big fan of quiet and darkness when I'm trying to sleep to be completely honest. Music also tends to make me think which generally isn't conducive to sleep. Having said that, if I'm going through any kind of particular life trauma I sometimes need music to distract me from my spiralling thoughts - For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver is one of my favourite albums for times of emotional trauma. I also have a chillout playlist on my iPod for times when I can't get my brain to behave but I'm not quite miserable enough for Bon Iver. It's got a lot of random stuff on there - Joni Mitchell, The Miserable Rich, Muse, Buzzcocks... But also a singer I discovered accidentally via iTunes (of all things) a few years ago - Polly Scattergood. She writes really good angsty songs about traumatic relationships and this song (I Am Strong) is my favourite song of hers. It's also a good mantra for getting through heartbreak if you ever need that kind of thing.



"I am strong, I am not weak
I am not in a place where I can talk to you
I am not hot, I am not cold
I am not for sale, I am sold
I built this house, it took quite long
Sticks and stones, I made it strong
I locked it up, I gave you a key
But you didn't come home to me"

No comments:

Post a Comment