Monday 28 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Seventeen

Day 17: A Song That You Hear Often On The Radio

To be honest I don't listen to the radio all that much these days - for which I mostly blame last.fm and Spotify. I used to be a massive Radio One fan, particularly when I was in sixth form and then university. Jo Whiley used to do a great mid-morning show which I adored back in the days when I didn't have to work 9 -5. Sadly, Radio One appears to play exclusively terrible music and employ rubbish DJs these days so I've  abandoned it completely. This may be a sign of old age but also reflects the fact that my music taste is a lot different these days - the whole point of Radio One is to play mainstream stuff I guess. My current listening habits tend to be dictated by whatever people have recommended to me this week rather than by what's in the top 40. Actually, I have no idea what is in the top 40 - I think the last time I listened to a chart show was about 2001... 

So my radio listening is a bit limited - when I gave in and realised I was too old and fussy for Radio One I defected to a mixture of Radio Four (primarily for morning political gossip) and Kerrang which, despite the surfeit of irksome adverts, generally plays enough rock to keep me happy. Of these two stations only one actually plays any music which narrows the field down somewhat! Kerrang can be somewhat repetitive, particularly with less modern music and therefore virtually the only AC/DC song they play is Highway to Hell. I lose count of the times I've got seriously funny looks from strangers at traffic lights for singing along to this song at the top of my voice - I may hear it a lot but it's still an awesome tune!


"No stop signs
Speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Like a wheel
Gonna spin it
Nobody's gonna mess me 'round
Hey Satan
Paid my dues
Playin' in a rockin' band
Hey momma
Look at me
I'm on my way to the Promised Land, wooh

I'm on the highway to hell

Highway to hell
I'm on the highway to hell
Highway to hell"


No comments:

Post a Comment