Friday 4 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Four

Day Four: A Song That Makes You Sad
Today's question is difficult. I listen to a lot of music when I'm sad, arguably more than I do when I'm happy. There are lots of songs that remind me of times in my life when I've been particularly unhappy. But a song that I can put on knowing it'll make me sad? That's a bit more complicated.

At this point I stopped writing and listened to a few of the songs which I could've potentially chosen with fairly mixed results. For example, Dying by Stone Sour - the opening bars and the lyrics are melancholy but then some quite upbeat guitars kick in which lend themselves more to angsty shouting rather than sadness. The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice is much more of a sad song but it also reminds me of the film Closer which, apart from the opening scene where Natalie Portman and Jude Law are walking towards one another in slow motion, was a huge disappointment to me. I'm tempted by The Cure, The Smiths or Bon Iver as well but, quite apart from the fact I've already chosen one Cure track for this list, I feel like this should be a song that makes me feel sad for a reason not something that's just generally wistful.

With that in mind and on the basis that I can't ramble on about songs that make me feel a bit weepy forever I've gone for Suzanne Vega - Marlene on the Wall. It's probably more of an angsty song than a sad song but every single time I hear the lyrics I remember sitting in my bedroom at midnight wondering how the hell I was ever going to fix the mess I'd managed to land myself in. I was fairly immature and thoughtless, even at the age of 20, and it took a lot to make me grow the hell up. Regardless of my idiocy this is still a beautiful song with wonderfully evocative lyrics but it will always carry a lot of emotional baggage.



"Even if I am in love with you
All this to say, what's it to you?
Observe the blood, the rose tattoo
Of the fingerprints on me from you

Other evidence has shown

That you and I are still alone
We skirt around the danger zone
And don't talk about it later"

No comments:

Post a Comment