Tuesday 22 March 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day Thirteen

Day Thirteen: A Song That Is A Guilty Pleasure

This question made me laugh out loud - as hard as I try to expand my musical horizons a lot of my music collection is made up of guilty pleasures! do like to listen to a lot of rubbish music - it ranges from 80's cheese to 90's dance to Lady Gaga. And although I say rubbish I don't mean it - in my opinion there's actually a lot of room in the world for bouncy, happy mainstream pop. For example, my friend Ness wrote a brilliant post yesterday about S-Club 7's Reach - a song which I defy anyone not to sing and dance along to, however much of a hipster they think they are! 

This leads into a more important theme actually and one of the most useful things I discovered when I went to uni was that being "cool" didn't matter anymore. I've never been that sort of girl anyway - at secondary school I sported braces and a haircut which made me look like a boy... Even when I lost the braces and discovered a decent hairdresser I never particularly fit in. Then I went to Durham and fitting in ceased to matter - being myself was just fine! Dancing to S-Club 7 one night and Metallica the next night was perfectly acceptable along with dressing like the abominable snowman, getting over-excited about castles and not doing sport. 

Being an adult (supposedly) and living in the real world isn't the same - people are ridiculously judgemental about other people's appearances, taste in music or political views but I do find it a lot easier not to care these days. The benefits of a liberal education perhaps? Or just that I am lucky enough to still have a lot of people in my life who are good enough to love me the way I am - and who will still talk to me when I admit to still liking Britney Spears. Perhaps that's appropriate actually - Britney is a prime example of the damage that our image-obsessed society can cause however I can't help but like her music. So have a little bit of Stronger as my guilty pleasure du jour...



"You might think that
I won't make it on my own
But now I'm

Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I am stronger

Than I ever thought
That I could be, baby"



No comments:

Post a Comment